Skip to comments.

The solar eclipse burned a crescent wound on a woman’s retina. She wasn’t wearing proper glasses.

MSN / Washington Post ^

Posted on 12/08/2017 4:17:52 PM PST by SMGFan

Like so many others, 26-year-old Nia Payne wanted to view of August’s historic solar eclipse but didn’t have a pair of protective glasses. She walked outside on Staten Island and glanced at the sun — 70 percent was covered — for about six seconds before deciding she needed eye protection.

She borrowed a pair of what looked like eclipse glasses from someone nearby, then looked directly at the sun for 15 to 20 seconds.

They weren’t the right glasses.

For two days after, Payne saw a black spot, shaped like a crescent similar to the eclipse itself, in the center of her vision. Finally, she went to the emergency room and was referred to the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai, where doctors performed a detailed scan of her retinas.

(Excerpt) Read more at msn.com

TOPICS:Health/Medicine; Outdoors; Science

KEYWORDS:dunderhead; niapayne; solareclipse

Dear FRiends, We’re getting close, but we need your help to wrap this baby up. If you have not yet made your donation, now is the time to get ‘er done!

Or by mail to: Free Republic, LLC – PO Box 9771 – Fresno, CA 93794

Thank you very much!

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.

first1-20, 21-40, 41-51nextlast

Only person out of millions?
1posted on 12/08/2017 4:17:52 PM PSTby SMGFan

To: SMGFan

You forgot to credit the author, Travis Andrews, with his illiteracy. Nia Payne wanted to view of eclipse?

2posted on 12/08/2017 4:23:39 PM PSTby familyop(“Welcome to Costco. I love you.” –Costco greeter in the movie, “Idiocracy”)

To: SMGFan

Crescent in the retina… we sure she isn’t Linda saursour???

3posted on 12/08/2017 4:25:33 PM PSTby GraceG(“It’s better to have all the Right Enemies, than it is to have all the Wrong Friends.”)

To: SMGFan

That day I kept taking my eclipse glasses off to look down for a while – once I didn’t look away soon enough and got a blast of the sun for a split second – I didn’t do that again! I could see the image in my eyes for maybe an hour then it went away.

4posted on 12/08/2017 4:26:24 PM PSTby GnuThere

To: SMGFan
Only person out of millions?

The article began with the statement, “Like so many others,…”

5posted on 12/08/2017 4:27:01 PM PSTby familyop(“Welcome to Costco. I love you.” –Costco greeter in the movie, “Idiocracy”)

To: SMGFan

Hey, we were warned over and over and over to have the proper viewing equipment for the eclipse.

I traveled almost 300 miles to be dead-center for it, a beautiful, clear as a bell morning.

And everyone who was there – EVERYONE!!! – had the proper eclipse glasses or lenses, whatever.

So I am sorry to hear this, but I’m not gonna cry in my beer for her!

6posted on 12/08/2017 4:29:23 PM PSTby djf(“She wore a raspberry beret, the kind you find in a second hand store…” – Prince)

To: GnuThere

I watched the full eclipse cycle on TV without any special glasses………

7posted on 12/08/2017 4:29:31 PM PSTby Hot Tabasco(My cat is not fat, she is just big boned……..)

To: familyop

Without a doubt I wa suggesting …to have damaged retina from viewing the eclipse.

8posted on 12/08/2017 4:30:07 PM PSTby SMGFan(Sarah Michelle Gellar is on twitter @SarahMGellar)

To: SMGFan

I watched it through my welding hood. Looked awesome

9posted on 12/08/2017 4:31:18 PM PSTby This_Dude

To: SMGFan

Optical IQ test?

10posted on 12/08/2017 4:31:45 PM PSTby editor-surveyor(Freepers: Not as smart as I’d hoped they’d be)

To: SMGFan

Everyday’s an IQ test.

11posted on 12/08/2017 4:32:00 PM PSTby SpaceBar

To: SMGFan

At least she has something to remember it by.

12posted on 12/08/2017 4:32:51 PM PSTby Flag_This(Liberals are locusts.)

To: Hot Tabasco

A piece of white cardboard and a plate with a hole in it is all you need.

Just project the image onto the cardboard.

13posted on 12/08/2017 4:35:23 PM PSTby editor-surveyor(Freepers: Not as smart as I’d hoped they’d be)

To: SpaceBar

For the rest of her life!

14posted on 12/08/2017 4:36:51 PM PSTby editor-surveyor(Freepers: Not as smart as I’d hoped they’d be)

To: SMGFan

Millions are smart enough to not stare at the sun so long that it burns an imprint on the retina.

15posted on 12/08/2017 4:36:56 PM PSTby ctdonath2(It’s not “white privilege”, it’s “Puritan work ethic”. Behavior begets consequences.)

To: editor-surveyor

Yes, she located herself in the middle of the left half of the bell curve. And you know what that means.

16posted on 12/08/2017 4:37:30 PM PSTby Wally_Kalbacken

To: SMGFan

When we were little kids, my brother and I stared at the setting sun, to see who would blink first.

17posted on 12/08/2017 4:42:31 PM PSTby JohnnyP(Thinking is hard work (I stole that from Rush).)

To: djf

Gotcha beat. We drove 600 miles to dead center in totality zone. It was on a property owned by an organization we volunteer with. We ended up hosting 200 people at an eclipse party.

It was worth the effort.

18posted on 12/08/2017 4:46:33 PM PSTby cyclotic(Trump tweets are the only news source you can trust.)

To: familyop

Probably a typo. I do that all the time. My command of English grammar is excellent but sometimes gets jumbled between my brain and the keyboard. That’s why it’s so important to have a separate pair of eyes do the proofreading.

It appears in this case the author was undecided whether to say “to view the eclipse” or “a view of the eclipse”. He may have written it one way in the rough draft and goofed when he changed it.

19posted on 12/08/2017 4:46:43 PM PSTby Jeff Chandler(Headline: Muslims Fear Backlash from Tomorrow’s Terror Attack – Mark Steyn)

To: editor-surveyor
A piece of white cardboard and a plate with a hole in it is all you need.

Stand under the shade of a tree and you can view hundreds of eclipse shadows on the ground.

20posted on 12/08/2017 4:48:09 PM PSTby Jeff Chandler(Headline: Muslims Fear Backlash from Tomorrow’s Terror Attack – Mark Steyn)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.

first1-20, 21-40, 41-51nextlast

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794