It's the first week of the new year, and we've now gotten the first Destiny 2 weekly reset of 2018. This brings with it a new Nightfall Strike for players to try their hand at, along with a new Flashpoint on Io and a lineup of Eververse items to consider purchasing before The Dawning ends. Here's what to expect from this week's Nightfall, A Garden World, on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
In terms of Modifiers, we again see the return of Torrent. While fans of variety may be disappointed, this is a particularly fun one, as it causes your abilities to recharge much faster than usual. Additionally, Timewarp: Zero Hour is active, which means you're unable to extend the Strike's time limit. You'll need to be fast and efficient to make it to the end.
That's especially true if you're hoping to finish the first of this week's Challenges. Speed of Dark is enabled, as always, and requires you to finish the Strike with at least five minutes left on the timer. Unbroken tasks you with making it through with fewer than three deaths. And the Shielded Minotaur Challenge asks you to take out the titular shielded minotaurs in less than 90 seconds during that encounter.
As with any week, completing the Nightfall rewards you with Powerful Gear. The Nightfall is one of the only ways to obtain that level of gear, which is a reliable way to boost your Power level. This Nightfall will be available until the next weekly reset, which occurs at 9 AM PT / 12 PM ET / 5 PM GMT on Tuesday, January 9 (4 AM AET on January 10).
The Nightfall is available now, but you'll be unable to try it--or anything else--for a period of time on Wednesday, January 3. Bungie has announced Destiny 2 maintenance and a new update will be deployed on that day, which will result in downtime for several hours. Meanwhile, The Dawning event continues and will come to an end on the same day as this Nightfall, January 9.
Microsoft's big end-of-year sale on the Xbox Store wraps up on January 4, but that doesn't mean your last chance to get cheap Xbox games has passed. The latest set of weekly deals has arrived for Xbox Live Gold members, bringing a select number of discounts on Xbox One games and DLC, alongside those on a few Xbox 360 games.
Among the most noteworthy offers on Xbox One is Diablo III: Eternal Collection for $30 / £27.50. This bundles together the base game, the excellent Reaper of Souls expansion, and the Rise of the Necromancer DLC (which adds the very fun Necromancer class). Alternatively, if you already own the game and Reaper of Souls, you can pick up Rise of the Necromancer on its own for $10 / £8.31.
Other deals of note include Redout: Lightspeed Edition for $26.79 / £21.43, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero for $13.39 / £10.71, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3's Season Pass Edition for $30 / £27.50, Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings for $6 / £4.80, 101 Ways to Die for $5 / £4, and Alien Hominid HD (an Xbox 360 game playable on Xbox One through backwards compatibility) for $5 / £3.37. Some notable DLC on sale includes Forza Horizon 3's Blizzard Mountain expansion for $8 / £6.69 and Forza Motorsport 7's Car Pass for $15 / £12.49.
Separately from these deals, the first of January's free Games With Gold titles are now available. Those include The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing III; if you're taken with it or want to start with an earlier title in the series, Gold members can pick up the first game in the series for $5 / £3.96. Additionally, if you don't have Gold, there are still a few deals to be had, including Furi for $10 / £8.
All of these offers are available from now through January 8. You can see the full list here.
2018 is here, and January is bringing with a variety of new content to streaming services. Amazon has announced all of the movies and TV shows coming to Prime Video this month--and there is some great content coming to kick off the New Year.
The 10th season of the BBC's sci-fi show Doctor Who arrived on January 1, along with Darren Aronofsky's chilling drama Requiem for a Dream. Also now out is Sam Mendes' Oscar-nominated (and very sad) movie Revolutionary Road and David Fincher's thriller Zodiac. Quentin Tarantino's first movie, Reservoir Dogs, also came to Amazon Prime on January 1.
Coming on January 12 is the first season of the Amazon Original show Electric Dreams, which stars Bryan Cranston, Anna Paquin, Timothy Spall, and Steve Buscemi. At the end of the month, you'll be able to see the new 2017 entry in Vin Diesel's xXx franchise, The Return of Xander Cage. You can see Amazon Prime's full lineup below, as rounded up and compiled by GameSpot sister site CNET.
New to Amazon Prime, January 2018
- The 2018 Rose Parade Hosted by Cord & Tish (Amazon original)
- All is Lost
- American Ninja
- Avenging Force
- Baby Mama's Club
- Black Rain
- Burning Blue
- But I'm a Cheerleader
- Coming Soon
- Cool World
- Cross Bronx
- Dangerous Curves
- Drop Dead Sexy
- Doctor Who, season 10
- Freedom Writers
- Hustle & Flow
- Invaders from Mars
- Love and Death
- Love Story
- Murphy's Law
- Platoon Leader
- Pretty Bird
- Requiem for a Dream
- Reservoir Dogs
- Revenge of the Ninja
- Revolutionary Road
- Richard the Lionheart
- Show of Force
- Six Degrees of Separation
- Step Into Liquid
- Street Smart
- The Perfect Weapon
- The Presidio
- The Wraith
- Thelma & Louise
- Uncommon Valor
- Words and Pictures
- The Devil's Double
- Grimm, season 6
- A Ghost Story
- Prime Suspect: Tennison, season 1
- Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, season 1 (Amazon original)
- My Mother & Other Strangers
- The Midwife
- Just Add Magic, season 2 (Amazon original)
- Grantchester, season 3
- Remember Me
- xXx: The Return of Xander Cage
It's the start of a new month--and a new year--which means more free games are now available for PlayStation Plus subscribers. January's allotment of free PS Plus games are out now on the PlayStation Store, meaning that titles like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Batman: The Telltale Series have temporarily dropped to the low, low price of free for paying subscribers.
Mankind Divided is the headlining PS4 freebie this month. The dystopian cyberpunk role-playing game casts you as Adam Jensen and tasks you with catching a terrorist group, which you can do by being a stealthy detective or a tech-enhanced killing machine, or some mixture of both.
As for Telltale's Batman game, this is the first season of the story and puts players in tricky situations as both Bruce Wayne and his crime-fighting alter-ego. The decisions you make will have some consequence on the relationships around you, and the overall story.
Other PS4 freebies in January include the wacky and fun party game That's You (if you're outside of North America) and StarBlood Arena (which requires PlayStation VR). Additionally, one of Vita's free games, Uncanny Valley, offers cross-buy with PS4. The other Vita game, Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness, should also offer PS4 cross-buy according to the PlayStation Blog, but at the time of this writing, it looks as if that may be an error. Additionally, PS3 owners get Sacred 3 and The Book of Unwritten Tales 2.
You can see January 2018's full PS Plus lineup--covering PS4, PS3, and Vita--below, or you can claim them on the PlayStation Store.
January 2018 Free PS Plus Games
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PS4)
- Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
- StarBlood Arena (PS VR required)
- Uncanny Valley (Vita Cross-Buy)
- That's You (Europe only)
- Sacred 3
- Book of Unwritten Tales 2
- Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness
- Uncanny Valley
The first of January 2018's free Games With Gold titles for Xbox One and Xbox 360 are now available for subscribers. On Xbox One, the action RPG The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing III is completely free all month long. You play as the famous monster hunter on a journey to take down one of your toughest foes yet.
On Xbox 360, Square Enix's Tomb Raider Underworld is now available for the low, low price of $0.00. Note that this game plays on Xbox One through backwards compatibility, so Xbox One owners can pick it up as well. One of December 2017's free Xbox One Games With Gold titles, Back to the Future: The Game, remains free until January 15.
Then on January 16, a new set of free Xbox One and Xbox 360 games will be available, including Zombi (Xbox One) and Army of Two (Xbox 360). You can see the full Games With Gold lineup for January 2018 down below. You need to have an Xbox Live Gold membership to get these games., but claiming them will allow you to continue playing for as long as you are a subscriber.
January 2018 Games With Gold
- Back to the Future: The Game - 30th Anniversary Edition (December 16 - January 15)
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing III (January 1-31)
- Zombi (January 16 - February 15)
- Tomb Raider: Underworld (January 1-15)
- Army of Two (January 16-31)
A new year means a new selection of movies and TV shows arriving on Netflix. January is here, and this month, a number of films, shows, and specials will debut on the streaming service, including several Netflix Originals.
The most notable arrival is the Batman series of films. Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin are all now available to stream, having been added on January 1. Additionally, Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins will also debut. They were joined by all four movies in the Lethal Weapon series, National Treasure, and The Godfather trilogy.
When it comes to TV, January will bring new seasons of originals One Day at a Time, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Grace and Frankie, and The Adventures of Puss in Boots. Among other arrivals are all five seasons of Showtime's Episodes, the second season of Colony, and a new batch of Eastsiders episodes.
Sadly, along with the arrivals come the months departures. Leaving Netflix in January are seven Saw movies, several Pokemon animated films, and The Addams Family, for starters. Perhaps most importantly, all six seasons of Lost will disappear from the streamer on January 4. So if you've been meaning to revisit that cursed island, it's time to clear out your schedule.
You can take a look at the full list of what's coming and going on Netflix in January below. You can also see what's new on Amazon Prime in January 2018.
Arriving on Netflix, January 2018
- 10,000 B.C.
- 30 Days of Night
- Age Of Shadows
- America's Sweethearts
- Apollo 13
- Batman & Robin
- Batman Begins
- Batman Forever
- Batman Returns
- Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Bring It On
- Bring It On Again
- Bring It On: All or Nothing
- Bring It On: Fight to the Finish
- Bring It On: In It to Win It
- Chef & My Fridge: 2017
- Definitely, Maybe
- Eastsiders: Season 3
- Furry Vengeance
- Glace: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
- Justin Bieber: Never Say Never
- King Kong
- Lethal Weapon
- Lethal Weapon 2
- Lethal Weapon 3
- Lethal Weapon 4
- License to Wed
- Like Water for Chocolate
- Love Actually
- Lovesick: Season 3 (Netflix Original)
- Maddman: The Steve Madden Story
- Marie Antoinette
- Martin Luther: The Idea that Changed the World
- Midnight in Paris
- Monsters vs. Aliens
- National Treasure
- Sharknado 5: Global Swarming
- Strictly Ballroom
- The Dukes of Hazzard
- The Exorcism of Emily Rose
- The First Time
- The Godfather
- The Godfather: Part II
- The Godfather: Part III
- The Italian Job
- The Lovely Bones
- The Shawshank Redemption
- The Truman Show
- The Vault
- Training Day
- Treasures From The Wreck Of The Unbelievable
- Wedding Crashers
- Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
- Mustang Island
- Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- Before I Wake (Netflix Original)
- Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee (Netflix Original)
- DEVILMAN crybaby: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
- Rotten (Netflix Original)
- Episodes: Season 1-5
- The Conjuring
- 47 Meters Down
- Alejandro Riaño Especial de stand up (Netflix Original)
- Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie
- In The Deep
- Colony: Season 2
- Disjointed: Part 2 (Netflix Original)
- Somebody Feed Phil (Netflix Original)
- The Man Who Would Be Polka King
- The Polka King (Netflix Original)
- Tom Segura: Disgraceful (Netflix Original)
- Wild Hogs
- 2018 Olympic Winter Games Preview: Meet Team USA & Go for the Gold
- Dallas Buyers Club
- Katt Williams: Great America (Netflix Original)
- Rita: Season 4
- Arango y Sanint: Ríase El Show (Netflix Original)
- Friday Night Tykes: Season 4
- Bad Day for the Cut
- Tiempos de guerra: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
- Drug Lords: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
- Grace and Frankie: Season 4 (Netflix Original)
- The Open House (Netflix Original)
- Trolls: The Beat Goes On!: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
- Todd Glass: Act Happy (Netflix Original)
- Ricardo Quevedo: Hay gente así (Netflix Original)
- Acts of Vengeance
- A Futile and Stupid Gesture (Netflix Original)
- Dirty Money (Netflix Original)
- Kavin Jay: Everybody Calm Down! (Netflix Original)
- Llama Llama: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
- One Day at a Time: Season 2 (Netflix Original)
- Sebastián Marcelo Wainraich (Netflix Original)
- The Adventures of Puss in Boots: Season 6 (Netflix Original)
- Mau Nieto: Viviendo sobrio… desde el bar (Netflix Original)
- El Ministerio del Tiempo: Seasons 1-2
- El Ministerio del Tiempo: Season 3 (Netflix Original)
- The Force
- Babylon Berlin: Season 1 & 2 (Netflix Original)
- Death Race: Beyond Anarchy
- Retribution: Season 1 (Netflix Original)
- Cars 3
Leaving Netflix, December 2017
- Daddy Day Care
- Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood
- Dressed to Kill
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
- Forrest Gump
- Four Brothers
- Free Willy
- I Am Sam
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: The Fifteenth Year
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: The Fourteenth Year
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: The Seventeenth Year
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: The Sixteenth Year
- License to Drive
- Made of Honor
- Mean Girls
- Miss Congeniality
- Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous
- Mona Lisa Smile
- Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction
- Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages
- Pokémon: Indigo League: Season 1
- Pokémon: XY: Seasons 1-2
- Police Academy
- Pulp Fiction
- Requiem for a Dream
- Saw II
- Saw III
- Saw IV
- Saw V
- Saw VI
- Saw: The Final Chapter
- Someone Like You
- The Addams Family
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
- The Day the Earth Stood Still
- The Desert Fox: The Story of Rommel
- The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
- The Man with One Red Shoe
- The Manhattan Project
- The Mighty Ducks
- The Parent Trap
- The Secret Garden
- The Switch
- Three Coins in the Fountain
- White Chicks
- Young Mr. Lincoln
- January 3
- Lost: Seasons 1-6
- Fantasia 2000
- The Host
- Sirens: Seasons 1-2
- Futurama: Seasons 7-10
Stubbly Overwatch game director Jeff Kaplan has given a rough overview of what's coming to the game in 2018. (He also sat in a chair next to a fireplace for 10 hours for a Christmas livestream on Twitch, which is brilliant.)
We won't have long to wait. Closest at hand are the launch of new map Blizzard World, this year's Chinese New Year event and new non-event, permanent content for loot boxes.
"We're going to release Blizzard World very soon ... and that map is one of our best," said Kaplan. He didn't mention a specific date but Blizzard World has been on the Public Test Realm since November so should be nearly ready to go.
Xbox One's unloved camera accessory just died another death - the adaptor which let it work with Microsoft's current Xbox One models has now also been discontinued.
Kinect itself was canned in October.
"After careful consideration, we decided to stop manufacturing the Xbox Kinect Adapter to focus attention on launching new, higher fan-requested gaming accessories across Xbox One and Windows 10," Microsoft has now confirmed (thanks, Polygon).