Gingerbread houses come in many shapes and sizes, as well as varying skill-levels of execution. And not all of them are made from gingerbread. But most gingerbread houses are alike in that they take the shape of a child’s drawing version of a house: with a high-pitched gable roof and four walls. In other words, very architectural—but for the people.
We’ve covered fancy constructions and monumental ones, too, but the following are ones that most folks could probably pull off in their own kitchens, or buy adding their frosted spin on pre-made or packaged kits (prefabs). Without further ado, here’s a roundup of sophisticated, lopsided, charming, and all-around delectable miniature abodes that you could ostensibly eat.
Amateur architects, take note! All you need to build your dream house are a few slabs of dried-out gingerbread cookies, plenty of frosting, and a singular vision. Oh, and maybe a big appetite—you know, for cleaning up around the job site.
- Who knew you could put flowers on a roof?
A post shared by Deeba Rajpal (@passionateaboutbaking) on Dec 8, 2017 at 7:07am PST
2. Oh, the things you can do with a bowl of sugary glaze and a prefab gingerbread house!
A post shared by Wilton Cake Decorating (@wiltoncakes) on Dec 6, 2017 at 10:46am PST
3. How meta.
A post shared by Heather Baird (@sprinklebakes) on Dec 2, 2017 at 7:56am PST
A post shared by Beth Baumgartner (@beth_thefirstyear) on Nov 28, 2017 at 5:32pm PST
A post shared by MANDY | Baking with Blondie (@bakingwithblondie) on Nov 28, 2017 at 8:34pm PST
A post shared by Пряник&Печенька Марии Леоновой (@maria.leonova) on Dec 7, 2017 at 4:00am PST
7. Basic, but in the best way.
A post shared by Aime Pope (@thepaintedpastry) on Dec 7, 2017 at 12:53pm PST
8. A minimalist home with some serious trim.
A post shared by NYT Food (@nytfood) on Dec 5, 2017 at 7:10pm PST
9. A gingerbread house is technically already a #tinyhouse.
A post shared by Nickelodeon (@nickelodeon) on Nov 30, 2017 at 12:36pm PST
10. Aren’t these exquisite?
A post shared by Alisha Henderson (@sweetbakes_) on Dec 2, 2017 at 3:53pm PST
11. A multi-generational gingerbread house.
A post shared by Kelly Williams (@wildflourscottagekitchen) on Dec 8, 2017 at 1:27pm PST
12. Love a good A-frame.
A post shared by @traderjoesfl on Dec 17, 2016 at 9:29pm PST
13. Check out this two-toned cookie construction.
A post shared by Sil (@sillianos) on Oct 22, 2016 at 9:22am PDT
14. A mermaid house painted with makeup—why not?
A post shared by XAN (@xanthemakeupman) on Dec 8, 2017 at 1:29pm PST
15. A historic stone house.
A post shared by Michael Noël (@michaelnoel88) on Dec 8, 2017 at 1:27pm PST
16. Here’s a log-cabin fit for the entire gingerbread family.
A post shared by Megan G ♈ (@italian_meatball25) on Dec 8, 2017 at 1:26pm PST
17. This gingerbread house belongs on Winter Wonderland Lane.
A post shared by Interior Food Inspiration (@franciskasvakreverden) on Nov 29, 2017 at 11:26pm PST
18. The elegant trim on this one calls to mind an Arts and Crafts home.
A post shared by Diana Bush (@dianabush21) on Dec 8, 2017 at 1:08pm PST
19. A stately manor.
A post shared by Debbie Raw (@deb.raw) on Dec 8, 2017 at 11:57am PST
20. A cake makes an excellent foundation for a gingerbread house.
A post shared by CakesByBethany (@cakesbybethany1) on Dec 8, 2017 at 11:16am PST
21. Sometimes a gingerbread house is not a gingerbread house, but something out of Star Wars.
A post shared by NERD OUT WITH ME (@nerdoutwithme) on Dec 8, 2017 at 10:12am PST
22. The shingles on this one are simply marvelous.
A post shared by Picturesmith (@picturesmith) on Dec 6, 2017 at 9:58am PST
23. Let’s all move here for the holidays!
A post shared by Rise & Shine Bakery Cafe (@riseshinebakenh) on Dec 8, 2017 at 9:54am PST
24. Good effort!
A post shared by Gina Bartlett (@ginacbartlett) on Sep 23, 2016 at 10:41am PDT
25. Honestly, this looks like the tastiest of the bunch (and it’s not even made out of gingerbread).
A post shared by Josh Elkin (@thejoshelkin) on Dec 7, 2017 at 1:39pm PST